Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sabbathought : God is a Person, not just an idea or a concept

We spoke some weeks ago---and it has been a regular theme or thread in all these Sabbathoughts---that unless we become like God we will never be permitted to dwell with Him. That is the central idea of all true religion, and the Sabbath Day is the time when we yield to His ways and learn of Him (see Isaiah 58:13--14), not just in our Sunday meetings but at home too.

What is God like? We need to know or we shall not be able to be like Him. "And this is life eternal [God's life, living with Him and like Him], that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou has sent" (John 17:3).

If there is one thing the devil would want to distort it is the true concept of God and what He is like. The Savior warned of false Christs in the last days, and a false idea of Christ is a false Christ (see Joseph Smith---Matthew 1:22, 37). Even the elect according to the covenant may be deceived by these false ideas, He said, but "whoso treasureth up my word shall not be deceived".

Truly, Jesus Christ, who is God, the Son of the Father, is the Lamb of God; and He is the Lion of Judah. He is Justice, and He is Mercy; He is the Prince of Peace, and He is the God of battles. There is no contradiction in all of this. We do Him and ourselves a great disservice when we focus on only one side of His Godly nature.

Elder Mark E. Petersen of the Twelve taught: "---studying all the difficulties that face us in the world today, [it is clear] that we are really living in the last days. I believe that now and in the years to come we will need a stronger testimony of the Lord Jesus Christ than ever before. Every one of us must do as the Presidency of the Church does, and that is to treat God as a person and not as a concept or an idea of any kind. He is a person, and we need to deal with Him that way. We must realize that He has feelings, and we can offend Him or we can please Him, depending on our attitude" (1 Sept. 1983).

Many of us reject the host of scriptures that speak of the fear of God, so wrapped up are we in the love of God. When the scriptures speak of fearing God, they mean fear, as President Monson has taught. Surely we understand that "our God is a consuming fire" (Hebrews 12:29).

But here is an interesting paradox: "Generally speaking, those who feel too sure of their salvation are farthest from it. Soren Kjerkegaard has expressed this thought in the following quaint paradox: 'If you fear, then fear not; but if you do not fear, then fear'" (Smith and Sjodahl, Doctrine and Covenants Commentary, p. 114).

Angus M. Cannon had this vision: "I did hear a voice which said--Angus, it is your privilege to appear before the Lord and I immediately looked and beheld Him, apparently about 30 rods distant. . . . I undertook to arise and go to Him but dared not approach Him and said, 'My God! Who can appear before Him!' I imagine He would say: How have you used my name and what use have you made of my Priesthood? When I thought of my many light speeches and the manner in which I had striven to embellish my remarks, in addressing people as His servant, circumlocuting [speaking] around the truths given of Him . . . , I was unable to go to Him."

Do you have the impression we each have quite a bit of preparation ahead of us? And that it must start today? He said, "Learn of me, and listen to my words; . . . Behold, canst thou read this without rejoicing and lifting up thy heart for gladness? Or canst thou run about longer as a blind guide? Or canst thou be humble and meek, and conduct thyself wisely before me? Yea, come unto me thy Savior. Amen" (D&C 19:23, 39--41).

Please feel free to post your comments below.

God bless us all.

Steve

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your words, thank you for your thoughtfulness, and for taking the time to share these greats lessons with us. Your words and the way in which you teach has and continues to impact my approach to gospel studies for good. I will share more of what I am or have learned later, but for now I just wanted to express my gratitude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Steve, for the concept of focusing on all sides of God's nature -- on developing in ourselves all of those qualities.

    ReplyDelete