Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sabbathought: "If only you Mormons were Christians"

On his way to a Church assignment by plane, Elder Jack H. Goaslind of the Seventy had the following experience, which he related at a stake conference some years ago.

In conversation with the passenger sat next to him, the businessman soon found out that Elder Goaslind was a Latter-day Saint.

"I have great respect for you Mormons," said the businessman, "I'm really impressed with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir; I see your young men in every city where I do business---clean-cut, wholesome young men---your emphasis on family, your welfare program, everything about you is just so very commendable. You know, if only you Mormons were Christians you'd really have something going for you."

How would you respond if you were Elder Goaslind in this situation?

After a few moments, Elder Goaslind said, "I want you to read a book."

"Oh, your Book of --- erm --- Book of Mormons? Thanks, but no thanks, I've already read it. But I am very impressed with you as a people. And, if only you were Christians, well . . . ."

"Well if you won't read the book again, would you mind if I read just one verse to you?" The man glanced around, saw that he was somewhat trapped, and said, "OK, go ahead."

Elder Goaslind read, "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."

There was no response from the man. After a pause, Elder Goaslind, though he had said " just one verse" thought there was nothing to be lost, skipped a verse, and read: "And now behold, my people, ye are a stiffnecked people; wherefore, I have spoken plainly unto you, that ye cannot misunderstand." (Think how bold this is, to read these words to the man 30,000 feet up and in light of their conversation.) Elder Goaslind continued:

"And the words which I have spoken shall stand as a testimony against you; for they are sufficient to teach any man the right way[bold indeed!]; for the right way is to believe in Christ and deny him not; for by denying him ye also deny the prophets and the law."

The businessman was deep in thought. He said nothing. Elder Goaslind shared one more verse, "And now behold, I say unto you that the right way is to believe in Christ, and deny him not; and Christ is the Holy One of Israel; wherefore ye must bow down before him, and worship him with all your might, mind, and strength, and your whole soul; and if ye do this ye shall in nowise be cast out."

Elder Goaslind closed the book. The man still said nothing for a while, then spoke: "Where can I get a copy of that book?"

"I just happen to have another one in my briefcase."

Now think about it, you Latter-day Saints. The man had seen and heard much of the Church. He even claimed to have already read the Book of Mormon. But in it all he had missed the point entirely of who we "Mormons" are. This should not surprise us, for Latter-day Saints most often miss the point entirely of who we are! Our testimony meetings affirm the truth of that, for rarely in them do we "talk of Christ, . . . rejoice in Christ, . . . preach of Christ . . ." and so forth.

That businessman ended up joining the Church and, at the time Elder Goaslind relayed the incident, was serving as a high priests group leader in California.

All of which begs the question, If you as a Latter-day Saint Christian were arrested for your public testimony of Jesus Christ, would there be enough evidence to convict you?

God bless. Please leave a comment so I'll know if you catch the point.

Thanks.

Steve

2 comments:

  1. I have a friend who is a Christian. She goes to a "Community" church in Park City, but she talks of Christ, she rejoices in Christ and she Preaches of Christ. One day when I entered her home, and sensing that I was going through a hard time, she pulled me aside and said "I feel like we should pray". She proceeded to call down the powers of heaven on my behalf. It was a beautiful, heartfelt prayer and I was very touched. I on the other hand had been pussy-footing around about my feelings for Christ, because I didn't want to offend. So many other religions are much more open about talking about their beliefs and faith in Christ. Why are we so timid?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! Love this story! Way to be bold Elder! :)

    ReplyDelete