Tuesday, August 21, 2012

GIFTS: The Three Most Important Words

A young woman once approached Howard W. Hunter, fourteenth President of the Church, and asked him what are the three most important words.

How would you answer that?

I am tempted to do two or three different things here.  At first I planned to simply share President Hunter's answer with no, or little, comment.  For his answer is profound, and can stand as a doctrinal insight by itself, especially in light of the answer the young woman was expecting.

Then I entertained the idea of asking you readers, my family and friends, to send me your answer.  And then we could share and discuss and expound as we compare our answers with President Hunter's.

A third option would be to expound and explain and build up here the context to President Hunter's answer, so it would have the deep meaning we want to convey.  Believe me, it is deep and profound.  I wonder if you are ready for it?  There is such a thing as learner readiness, which the Master Teacher, the Savior Himself, used to great effect.

Elder Packer once began a general conference talk in this way:

"What I shall say I could say much better if we were alone, just the two of us. It would be easier also if we had come to know one another, and had that kind of trust which makes it possible to talk of serious, even sacred things.
"If we were that close, because of the nature of what I shall say, I would study you carefully as I spoke. If there should be the slightest disinterest or distraction, the subject would quickly be changed to more ordinary things.
"I have not, to my knowledge, in my ministry said anything more important."

I am not deliberately being evasive here, or teasing you for no reason.  I want this discussion to have meaning for you all, to have the same impact it had on me and Alison when we first heard this in an Education Week lecture at BYU three years ago tomorrow.

Having said all this, I'm now clear on how to proceed.

What are the three most important words for you?

Let me know --- in the middle of your busy schedule --- your pondered and reasoned response, would you?  We'll give it a few days for your answers to come in, then we'll return and report.

There is something special in store --- Trust me.

As always,

Steve

P.S.  Feel free --- even obliged(?!) --- to share this one with others.  The more answers we have the better the discussion, in this case.  Feel free to use the Comments box below for your answer, or send me a three-word e-mail reply.  Thanks.

P.P.S.  Happy Birthday, President Monson, 85 years old today!

No comments:

Post a Comment